Thursday, March 29, 2012

A long difficult day

This mama is exhausted. Emotionally drained. My body wants to collapse into bed.

Today's surgery recovery was tough for Amelia. She was much more uncomfortable than last time. If she was awake, she was crying and rubbing at her eyes. She was worried that it will never get better. She was worn down from the anesthesia. She was hungry, but nauseous and unable to keep anything down. She finally perked up for a moment to play a new iPad app she had been asking me to find (her cousin had it on vacation), only to vomit all over the bed. Which, of course, freaked her out even more than she had been previously.

Finally, she sleeps. The anesthesia is probably out of her system, the only plus side to the vomiting. She is calm, she clutches her cool washcloth to dab her eyes at will. She is in Mommy and Daddy's room, comfy on the big air mattress we blew up especially for her tonight. All is quiet.

I should be drifting off to sleep myself but despite my physical fatigue, I am inexplicably wide awake. On edge. Shifting from tearful to nervous to hopeful. And so very humbled by the outpouring of support via numerous channels of communication. Phone, text, email,Twitter, Facebook...

People mean so much to me, and I could not ask for better people in my life.

Yep, even the virtual relationships. This is but a momentary bump in my life (and absolutely minor compared to what others may face), yet so many of you understand a mama's heartache - and take the time to lend a kind word.

Thank you.

Now, who wants to bet she'll wake up as soon as I reach dreamland?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...